Should self driving cars be able to drive too fast?Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:15pm18.104.22.168Self driving cars are improving. Soon they will be proven safer than human drivers. Soon a self driving car going over the speed limit will be safer than a human driver at the same speed.
Then should a self driving car be able to go double the speed limit if the human tells it to, since it would still be safer than a human driver at the same speed?
- No more autonomy! Blather, Fri Oct 14 10:10amYou either do exactly as the computer dictates or you will be removed. Everyone must be homogenized, no exceptions. We will be acclimated to having no choices. What is good for one is "good" for all, ... more
- No. PureStevil, Fri Oct 14 8:39amAn SAE Level 4 and SAE Level 5 autonomous vehicle should obey the rules of the road. Additionally, faster travel is less energy efficient.
- My skepticism says that Self-Driving Cars are very far away. DFM, Wed Oct 12 10:47pmHere is why: Believe it or not, the death rate per hundred million vehicle miles in the USA is 1. That is, there is only ONE death per one hundred million vehicle miles. That is how good human... more
- Corrections PureStevil, Fri Oct 14 8:30amNHSTA 2015 statistics have 1.12 Deaths per 100M miles. The Tesla "autopilot" system has driven over 222M miles with the single attributable fatality. And as Sprout says (and Tesla says as well) the... more
- A problem with your numbers.... Sprout, Thu Oct 13 5:51amThe one death you are attributing to a "self-driving" car was not in fact a self-driving car. Essentially it was merely adaptive cruise control.
- My point still is that one death per 100,000,000 miles is DFM, Thu Oct 13 9:39amgoing to be VERY difficult to achieve. I don't foresee it happening in the next few decades, likely not in this century. I see no way that such systems can perform nearly as well has human drivers... more
- It might take MobilEYE decades to get there. PureStevil, Fri Oct 14 8:31amthey'll be late to the party.
- I'm not sure it is really that hard... Sprout, Thu Oct 13 1:37pmIMO once the sensors are developed to the point that they can accurately discern the vehicles environment, and we aren't that far from that technologically, probably within a decade, an automated... more
- I also expect that the Legal Profession will act as an DFM, Thu Oct 13 4:17pmobstacle as it usually does. Every serious accident will result in a lawsuit. They will not go after the drivers, but the manufacturers of the self-driving cars because of their deeper pockets. You... more
- I will re-post your comments in about 5 years. Ken C, Thu Oct 13 10:03amSelf driving cars can look everywhere at the same time, so they can watch the driver next to them while scanning the road ahead. They can have quicker reflexes than humans. They can see road... more
- What is "too fast"? Sprout, Wed Oct 12 2:13pmOne sci-fi novel I read talked about some automated roadways that grouped vehicles by capability/performance and put them into auto-controlled drafting packs for efficiency... So, in the right lane... more
Religion and Ethics BBS