SESExample of "Cherry-picking".Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:41am22.214.171.124 (XFF: 126.96.36.199)I was thinking about this after a discussion on "The Atheist Experience" about how "fine tuned" our Universe was. Everything had to happen JUST RIGHT or our universe would never have existed.
I thought about it again on here, when the discussion turned to picking ONE instance that SUPPORTS your position, and IGNORING a TON of cases that DON'T.
So let's say that there's a seed pod laying in the desert. Inert.
A drop of rain hits it, causing it to sprout, and grow, and turn into a beautiful flower.
You COULD say "What a MIRACLE, that this ONE rain drop fell TWO MILES, blown this way and that, and just HAPPENED to hit this ONE seed pod. Truly, there MUST have been a guiding hand. Something like that couldn't just happen all on its own."
And it IS a miracle -- that this one PARTICULAR rain drop hit the seed pod.
Of course, there were MILLIONS of OTHER rain drops that DIDN'T hit the seed pod.
It just SEEMS like a miracle if you EXCLUDE all of THOSE cases -- the ones that DON'T seem like a miracle.
So you CAN cherry-pick -- pay attention to just the ONE "miraculous" case. But only if you IGNORE all of the OTHERS.
- i have read too many Death Experiences to be cherry picked jb, Tue Mar 14 11:33amTry read a few thousand and then ask yourself if they were cherry picked. God cherry picked this planet for life. Remember there are 7 kinds of experiences: NDE/FDE/SDE/DBV/ADC/TL/SAVANTS, THOSE ARE... more
- I've read about the ones where... SES, Tue Mar 14 11:41am....people saw demons. Had terrifying experiences. You know. The ones that you left out when you cherry-picked the ones you LIKE.... more
- I have included atheist nde which include hellish nde, i hav jb, Tue Mar 14 11:51amNOT CHERRY PICKED, those are included. Maybe you didn't read them but I included them and I included a Hellish atheist nde of a woman all alone. But, I have read very few of those. There are some... more
- Liar. It's not just Atheists who have had hellish NDEs. SES, Tue Mar 14 12:05pmRead the damn article I linked to. So you admit there are "hellish" NDEs, but have read "very few of those". You admit that there are "hellish" DBVs, but you haven't read about ANY of them. Yet you... more
- i'm not very interested in hellish experiences jb, Tue Mar 14 12:18pmI know it is not just atheists who have hellish nde but I have not seen them. I'm not very interested in hellish experiences. They are very rare and not well understood. I know if one hurts people he ... more
- READ THE GODDAMN ARTICLE!!!!! SES, Tue Mar 14 12:27pmThe article specifically SAYS that there is NO distinction between who has "hellish" NDEs and who doesn't. "No evidence supports the conventional assumption that 'good' people get pleasant NDEs and... more
- That's not true based on many years of reading NDE, there is jb, Tue Mar 14 12:45pma vast difference. There may be exceptions but that is what they are. I know a lot more about this subject than you do. I don't know where the article is or who wrote it but that is NOT TRUE.
- You know what you WANT to know about the subject. SES, Wed Mar 15 5:57amAnd that's because you cherry-pick, which you've just proven.
- NO, you know what you want to know about the subject which jb, Wed Mar 15 7:11amis NOTHING.
- All anyone needs to know is that... SES, Wed Mar 15 8:39am1. Everything that is known about "FDEs/SDEs/DBVs/ADCs" is anecdotal. 2. Studies have been done trying to find scientific evidence that "FDEs/SDEs/DBVs/ADCs" are "real". 3. Those studies have utterly ... more
- BUT, NOT cherry picked. And you have NOT explained AWARE jb, Wed Mar 15 8:52amHow are DEAD PEOPLE AWARE? you can't explain that. How do they see and hear? you CANNOT EXPLAIN THOSE THINGS.
- That's been studied. They DON'T "see and hear". Liar. SES, Wed Mar 15 10:49amYou are SO dishonest.
- ONE SEES and "hears" and his NDE is verified. (nm) JB, Wed Mar 15 11:17am
- Liar. That's never been proven. (nm) SES, Thu Mar 16 5:55am
- "One case was validated and timed " Parnia (nm) jb, Thu Mar 16 6:16am
- Liar. (nm) SES, Thu Mar 16 8:48am
- NOW, you are calling Dr. PARNIA a liar. (nm) jb, Thu Mar 16 9:22am
- Nope. Calling YOU a liar, for mischaracterizing his results. (nm SES, Thu Mar 16 10:32am
Religion and Ethics BBS