cccGee. As early as Jan. 2008. Look at number 7!!Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:06pm2600:8800:7204:200:c05d:b4b:5f17:ff3dIn January of 2008 who could be raising these issues? Who is about to engage in a campaign for the nomination against Obama?
If they are looking forward to the campaign with McCain why are all the questions about Obama as Hillary is the favorite at this time January of 2008?
Leaked emails: Clinton allies pondered polling in 2008 on rumors about Obama’s cocaine use, his father’s Muslim faith
2 / 20
The Washington Post
6 hrs ago
© AP Photo/Andrew Harnik Hillary Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta speaks to members of the media outside Clinton's home in Washington on Oct. 5, 2016.
Political campaigns and super PAC often hire pollsters to survey voters about the potential strengths and weaknesses of an opponent or themselves. Evidence of that type of polling has surfaced in emails hacked from the private account of Hillary Clinton's campaign chairman, John Podesta, and released by the anti-secrecy organization WikiLeaks.
In January 2008, a group of progressive activists, including Podesta, pondered polling voters about rumors involving then-Sen. Barack Obama's cocaine use and about his late father's Muslim faith. The questions were set to be asked as rumors were already swirling that the future president was secretly a Muslim born overseas. Obama has acknowledged experimenting with cocaine and marijuana in his youth.
Clinton and Obama were competing in the Democratic presidential primaries at the time.
Kristi Fuska, a polling analyst with Democratic firm Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research, sent proposed questions for a telephone survey that would have asked questions about Obama, according to a message released by WikiLeaks. The message, entitled “McCain Survey,” was sent to Podesta and others close to the Clinton campaign, including Paul Begala and Tara McGuinness.
Here are the questions the poll team proposed asking:
* 1 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) was the only candidate at a recent event not to cover his heart during the national anthem and he has stopped wearing an American flag pin.
* 2 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) benefited from a land deal from a contributor who has been indicted for corruption.
* 3 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) would personally negotiate with the leaders of terrorist nations like Iran and North Korea without preconditions.
* 4 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) voted against allowing people to use handguns to defend themselves against intruders.
* 5 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) plans to raise taxes by 180 (one hundred and eighty) billion dollars a year to pay for his government-run health care plan
* 6 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) voted repeatedly against emergency funding bills for U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
* 7 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh)'s father was a Muslim and Obama grew up among Muslims in the world's most populous Islamic country.
This is coming up long before Trump brought it up. Who in January of 2008 could have been raising such issues? Could it be the "her" of I'm with her?!!! If not her, then on what basis could they be anticipating such an issue at such an early date and WHY? Where did such speculation originate? LOL?
* 8 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) is ranked as one of the ten most liberal members of the Senate because of his support of issues like gay adoption.
* 13 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) voted against requiring medical care for aborted fetuses who survive the procedure.
* 14 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) supports giving driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants.
* 15 Obama (owe-BAHM-uh) described his former use of cocaine as using “a little blow.”
Begala said Friday that the message was sent to members of a group called Progressive Media USA, composed of Clinton and Obama supporters and led at the time by Tom Matzzie, a former director of MoveOn. The group later disbanded.
“We could not coordinate with either campaign, and worked to prepare to defend either candidate in the general election,” Begala explained in an email. “It was called 'McCain survey' because it was designed to test attacks that might come in the general election. Our entire focus was the general election. Both Obama and Clinton supporters were, at the time, concerned the eventual nominee would emerge wounded and vulnerable for the general election.”
“Every campaign and every PAC tests potential negatives against the candidate they support,” Begala said. “That's all this was.”
Matzzie described the polling as “Campaigning 101 to test vulnerabilities,” adding that they tested potential vulnerabilities for Clinton and Obama.
“While I can't verify 100% veracity of the specific words from hacked emails. I am certain we tested a lot of things like that,” he said in an email. “The researchers who helped us cook up negatives went on to work for the Obama campaign itself.”
Mattzie and Begala say they do not recall whether these specific questions were asked, but that they were consistent with the kind of work they would have been doing at the time.
Tom Hamburger contributed to this report.
This item has been updated.
- The is a deflection tactic. HeavyHemi, Sat Oct 22 10:09pmObama is not running and Clinton is not an excuse for Trump being birther in chief for many years. Don't you feel a bit silly pushing this meaningless twaddle as being a serious issue?
- The earliest mention of Obama being born abroad was in 1991 ccc, Sun Oct 23 7:08pmthrough 2007 by Obama's publisher, preceeding conspiracy web sites and Hillary's supporters and Trump. Don't you feel sad you can never know that?
- That's a lie. His birth was announced in the local Hawaii HeavyHemi, Mon Oct 24 2:12amnewspapers. Please leave this moronic nonsense behind. You're starting to demonstrate with your comments you're another phony Christer. The worst kind.
- Speaking of being born in a foreign country... Truthteller, Mon Oct 17 5:35pmthe Cons were more than willing to consider putting THIS Con into office despite the fact HE WAS BORN IN CANADA. Now HOW does that work in the world of the Con idiocy that believes that anyone born... more
- Origin of such concerns Pikes, Sun Oct 16 11:19amAssemble a group of eager young strategists and burden then with the task of developing dirt to discredit a challenger, and you will see a list like this. What they accept and proceed to act on is... more
- The list I put up was about Obama's viewed weaknesses. ccc, Thu Oct 20 2:28amand issues that might be used against him. It was written in January of 2008. At that time he was considered a long shot for the Dem nomination with Hillary as the likely candidate. So this list is... more
- Since most primaries were held in spring of 2008, that's Sia☺giah, Thu Oct 20 11:28ampatently ABSURD... As early as mid 2007, Obama was already right up there with Hillary in the headlines... and in her concerns...
- No primaries had been held yet as you should know ccc, Sat Oct 22 8:28pmSo no one knew yet how either candidate would do. Hillary was the favorite and did not lose that status until well into the primaries. The Republicans were reqdying for Hillary until well into the... more
- NH primary was January 8th that year, the SAME month Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 8:30pmand Hillary won with Obama right behind her... I know, I voted in it... but she won with 39.1% to his 36.5% with John Edwards trailing far behind at 16.9 ... Obama was already a HUGE threat...
- A huge threat to Hillary but she was still the favorite ccc, Sat Oct 22 8:43pmNo one else, except maybe Edwards, had any reason to go after Obama with stuff about where he was born. No one else did but Hillary. Trump was still a few years in the future.
- Oh PUHLEEZE. Obama slaughtered her in Iowa caucus 1-3-08 Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 8:49pmhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_Democratic_caucuses,_2008 Obama 37.6% Edwards 29.7% and Hillary 29.4% They were desperate and they were looking at ANYTHING that could cast aspersions on Obama...... more
- You're trying to turn that list into something it wasn't.. Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 8:58pmThere were attempts and rumors swirling around his birth certificate, but they did NOT originate with Hillary Clinton, nor did she EVER accuse him of such... It was conservative websites that began... more
- That list was a preview of where Hilary suppoerters were ccc, Sun Oct 23 7:17pmgoing to go and where they did go in early 2008 long after Obama's publisher had been saying Obama was born in Kenya for 15 years.
- His publisher had corrected that well before that... Sia☺giah, Sun Oct 23 10:21pmand admitted that it was an assumption on their part, NOT something Obama told them... You keep forgetting that Hillary's crew WASN'T suggesting he wasn't born in America, they were going to go after ... more
- I disagree. ccc, Sat Oct 22 8:56pmHillary's comeback in Hew Hampshire was seen as putting her back in the favorites position she had been in for sometime. She needs to attack Obama and John Podesta was her guy then and Wikileaks has... more
- Wrong... All it did was put her back into the race after the Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 9:03pmhumiliation in Iowa... Disagree all you like, but she proceeded to go downhill from then on... ultimately losing...
- Exactly. She was back in the race and expected to win and ccc, Sat Oct 22 9:36pmthe fight went on until into June, with each side going up and down, when Obama became the presumptive nominee. During this period she had the motivation to attack Obama along with John Edwards. The... more
- the publisher corrected it after admitting it was an error Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 9:58pmand no, she no longer 'expected to win'...
- After 16 years the publisher removed that information ccc, Sun Oct 23 7:11pmand Hillary was still expected to win in early 2008.
- and here's the proof Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 8:32pmhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Democratic_primary,_2008
- From your source ccc, Sat Oct 22 8:50pm"After Obama became the Democratic Party's presumptive nominee on June 3,..." So the battle continued for 5 more months. So in January of 2008 who would be trying to attack where Obama was born and... more
- WTF? Can't you read? The list does NOT say not born in Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 9:06pmUSA, it discusses where he was RAISED... NOT BORN... Accusations that he wasn't born in the USA began in MARCH 2008 on conservative websites...
- True. That is what the list says. You are right ccc, Sat Oct 22 9:40pmThen things escalated Obama's publisher had been saying since 1991 that Obama was born in Kenya. Don't you know that? That and a few other things are where the story started.
- TRUMP escalated it into a huge brouhaha... Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 9:59pmNOTHING you can say changes that simple fact...
- I do not contest that fact but, and its a big BUT, ccc, Sun Oct 23 7:14pmTrump was a late comer after Obama's publisher and conspiracy web sites and Hillary supporters first brought it up.
- WHERE did Hillary bring it up? NOT in that list... (nm) Sia☺giah, Sun Oct 23 10:23pm
- Here's the proof Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 9:07pmhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_citizenship_conspiracy_theories
- Your closer to right than I am but not by much. ccc, Sat Oct 22 10:58pmThe Hillary supporters were getting more concerned. That was a long article. I think It left out the fact that Obama’s publisher had been circulating since 1991 through 2007 that Obama was born in... more
- Thanks. In any case, Hillary, herself, wasn't attempting Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 11:03pmto make his birthplace an issue... Who knows why Trump decided to... ?? From everything I've seen from him, he IS quite racist and that may be part of WHY he went so nuts over it...
- True. Hillary herself did not raise the issue but some ccc, Sun Oct 23 7:28pmof her supporters did in early 2008. I don't know why Trump did it either. I am amazed at how he threw his chance to be president away with things like Hillary, in the last debate not knowing where... more
- Then there's THIS... Truthteller, Mon Oct 17 5:32pmhttp://www.dictionary.com/browse/trumpery?s=t trumpery [truhm-puh-ree] Spell Syllables Word Origin noun, plural trumperies. 1. something without use or value; rubbish; trash; worthless stuff. 2.... more
- Yep. Worthless trinkets. (nm) Pikes, Mon Oct 17 6:12pm
- Obama lived overseas... That does not say BORN outside Sia☺giah, Fri Oct 14 11:40pmof the USA... It says RAISED AMONGST... and for a time, that was true... Until his Mom left his stepfather and returned to Hawaii where he finished his childhood... He had virtually NO relationship... more
- You might have missed this in the first paragraph ccc, Mon Oct 17 11:49am"The questions were set to be asked as rumors were already swirling that the future president was secretly a Muslim born overseas." At the time he was not a future president he was a candidate... more
- Didn't miss that. Pikes, Mon Oct 17 5:23pmRumors already swirling. Convenient. Swirling where? Think tank rooms?
- In January 2008, that was absolutely UNTRUE... Sia☺giah, Mon Oct 17 12:11pmObama was already a serious threat they wanted to be rid of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries,_2008 Scroll down to 'early campaigning' to see just HOW threatening... more
- Exactly. The threat was to her and she was raising ccc, Thu Oct 20 2:38amissues that could be used against him.
- Of course she was... but that wasn't your claim... Sia☺giah, Thu Oct 20 11:32amYou suggested that Hillary created the BORN IN KEYNA rumor... That's untrue... That his father was a Muslim and that Obama was raised, for a time, overseas was well known information and certainly... more
- If you need to believe that you should ccc, Sat Oct 22 8:40pmFrom 1991 to 2005 Obama's publisher listed him as born in Kenya and raised in Indonesia and Hawii. that's the basis for the original story. In 2008 his place of birth came up again. Many of Hillary's ... more
- It was a publishing error admitted to by the publisher Sia☺giah, Sat Oct 22 9:11pmhttp://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/birthers/booklet.asp
- True. After 15 years and many sales they corrected it. (nm) ccc, Sun Oct 23 7:30pm