Greetings to everyone. I've been very busy dealing with my
Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:32pm

Dad's serious medical issues in FL.

Last Friday, October 20, he was rushed by ambulance at 5AM to Citrus Memorial Hospital in Inverness, FL in full congestive heart failure. It took them 2 days to establish that he'd been having a heart attack upon arrival, but they'd halted it with an immediate heparin drip and double the Lasix for the CHF that had suddenly come upon him after recovering from walking pneumonia in September while up north for a month with me. Thankfully, they discovered that one of his left heart arteries is only partially blocked, not fully blocked as when he had to have quadruple bypasses twice, once in 1980 and again in 1992. At 98, he's too old to undergo another major surgery like that so it's being treated with medication alone as his cardiologist feels that is the best treatment for him. So far, so good.

He's been stabilized, there is minimal heart muscle damage as the heparin drip stopped the heart attack quickly. On Tuesday last, he was released to a local rehab there to have OT and PT to regain enough strength to be able to use a walker to get around on his own again. Right now, he's using a wheelchair as this has all taken a toll on his stamina and strength. The CHF is stabilized but it saps his energy so it's going to be a while before he's back up to snuff.

It's been a nightmare for me with all the arrangements and issues that have come up. Trust me, DON'T allow a parent to be in ANY rehab or nursing home or elderly facility without being in CONSTANT CONTACT with the parent and the facility management.

I'm not going to go into the specifics of some awful things that happened to him in the rehab center, but it was DISGRACEFUL. I've taken care of it and am in the process of getting him released as fit to travel by airplane and quickly bringing him home to live with me. I plan to arrange for him to have whatever necessary PT he requires HERE, in NH, while being with him throughout it all so that he's never again subjected to abuse at the hands of some psycho who abuses helpless, vulnerable people she thinks have no one to advocate for or who will step in to protect them from whackos like her. She's been fired, as she well deserved.

So, now Dad is doing well physically and mentally. We are working on his emotional health in restoring his dignity and feeling of being safe from harm.

In the meantime, I'll pop in as I have the time and inclination to participate. Please behave yourselves and don't make life difficult for my co-mod partners. They are fully empowered to moderate this forum and WILL do so. They simply prefer to remain anonymous as they do so, but they ARE here. As always, if you need personal assistance related to the forum, you can contact me at I will get the email and address it personally or pass it on to another moderator to handle. All emails are kept in complete confidence. If you want to maintain your anonymity, simply create a "throw away" free gmail email account to use to contact us. Either way, your email address and any information shared with be kept confidential.

Happy Saturday everyone. Be good, be happy, and be WELL.