SOCAwarriors Home
Lease this WebApp and get rid of the ads.
fleX
TnT Team News ! - 11-Jul-2003
Mon Jul 7, 2003 11:10
205.174.22.22

Arnold Dwarika, Jerron Nixon off to China.
By Shaun Fuentes.

Local footballers Arnold Dwarika and Jerron Nixon left on Friday for China where they will spend a week in Beijing on trial with professional club team Beijing Guoan.
Dwarika, a member of Vibe CT 105 W Connection, and Nixon who has been out of contract for the past few months received the invitations from the club through local businessman Hugh Leong Poi. Nixon was last based in Switzerland up to January.
Guoan were in Trinidad in January when they held a President s Eleven to a 2-2 draw at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. They are currently campaigning in the Chinese Division 1 A.
Leong Poi was also helpful in getting striker Gary Glasgow to sign a one year deal with another Chinese First Division team, Guangzhou Xiangxue where he is currently the topscorer with four goals in six matches.
"The club has been looking for players and they are well aware that players from Trinidad and Tobago are capable of doing well. They came here and saw it for themselves earlier this year and now the opportunity has come for both Arnold and Jerren to go out there and get contracts," said Leong Poi. "Hopefully things will go well with them over the ten days." Both players are likely to play their first trial match early next week.
Dundee United sign Colin Samuel...Jabloteh slam transfer fee.
By Lasana Liburd.

Trinidad and Tobago international striker Collin Samuel was unveiled as a Dundee United player yesterday after Falkirk accepted an £100,000 ($1 million) fee from the Scottish Premier League club.
Samuel is expected to complete personal terms with the club over the weekend as he prepares to join compatriot and Livingston central defender Marvin “Dog” Andrews in the Scottish top flight.
Expect CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh to have something to say about it, though.
Jabloteh chairman Jerry Hospedales expressed surprise yesterday after being told that the transfer was a done deal between the two Scottish teams.
Hospedales had insisted on Thursday evening that the club still had a stake in their former player, who they sent to Falkirk last August on a two-year deal.
Jabloteh got no money for the deal but there was an agreement that, if the player moved during the two-year period, Falkirk would split the transfer fee with the Bourg Mulatrasse-based team.
If Samuel remained with Falkirk until the end of the two-year deal, he would then be returned to Jabloteh.
However, Hospedales was adamant that Samuel was worth more than £100,000 and claimed to have initially rejected the figure outright.
“They put something on the table early this week or last week,” Hospedales told the Express, “and we said it was unacceptable. Didn’t (Samuel) score about 18 or 19 goals and contributed substantially to...Falkirk (last season)?
“I hope to hear from them over the weekend to see how we can make sure that Collin Samuel’s interests are at all times protected.”
Not surprisingly, Dundee United were delighted to sign a player who was summoned to trials by English Premier League team, Everton, and even attracted interest from the likes of English FA Cup winners, Arsenal, last season.
United manager Ian McCall, who signed Samuel at Falkirk but controversially joined United in mid-season, described the striker as “an outstanding prospect”.
Samuel is the seventh Falkirk player to join United this summer and United chairman Eddie Thompson said that the move has significantly strengthened relations between the two clubs, which had become strained after McCall’s move.
“Discussions between Campbell Christie, the Falkirk chairman, and myself have been extremely amicable,” Thompson told Sporting Life, “and we are both happy with the eventual outcome of these negotiations.
“Ian McCall added that he hoped to agree personal terms with Collin Samuel in the next few days and was delighted to have the opportunity to strengthen his playing squad with such a talented player.
“He also said that he was happy that his former club (Falkirk) and his current club (DUFC) have now agreed to put to one side any past differences and we can now move on from here.”
However, a Jabloteh source said that the club was distrustful of the alliance between the two teams and would consider approaching FIFA for transparency in the issue.
The Jabloteh official insisted that the local Pro League team had refused the figure offered by Falkirk and wondered whether the two Scottish clubs had conspired to deny them a reasonable fee.
He pointed out that Jabloteh were paid £130,000 for the transfer to Wrexham in 2001 of Carlos Edwards and Hector Sam, who were both untested players.
The Jabloteh official also suggested that it cost Wrexham more than that figure for the pair and referred to an unnamed third party from another Pro League club who may have also benefitted.
Still, using the fee for Edwards and Sam as a yardstick, the official was adamant that Samuel was worth much more and could not be sold without their input.
He also speculated that the Scottish teams could have raised the prices of their other transfers to compensate for the low figure in Samuel’s move.
“If Dundee does that, my own view is that Dundee are putting themselves in a very precarious position,” said the Jabloteh official. “We will use the recourse that is available to us. If we see something that is in the newspaper, we will have to let them know what our position is.
“We are naturally going to have sit down and get proper advice and determine how we have to move forward, but we are very clear in our minds about what we feel our rights are.”
Hospedales was more diplomatic, although he did not rule out pursuing the matter at a higher court.
“I will have to hear from Falkirk and take it from there,” said Hospedales. “Falkirk is a well-established club and so are Jabloteh, so we will work it out. “Right now, I will have to talk to Falkirk first.”
News from the 7th of July, 2003.
Army moves into second in PFL.
By Gregory Trujillo.

Defence Force climbed into second spot in the Trinidad and Tobago Professional Football League standings behind defending champion CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh yesterday, with a 2-1 win over newcomers South West Institute of Football on the Palo Seco Recreation ground.
Credit must be given to goalkeeper Selwyn George, as he saved a powerful penalty from Lebanon-based Peter Prosper in the 55th minute when the scores were locked goalless.
Owen Matthews (67th) and Sherman “Ants” Phillip (79th) netted for Defence Force, which was winning its sixth consecutive match after losing its opening three.
Prosper, who is playing his first match at home in about four years, made up for his costly miss, scoring on George in the 83rd.
In regulation time, the Army’s Michael Edwards was given marching orders by referee Jaggernauth Goolcharan for violent conduct.
The win pushed Defence Force (18 pts) to within one point of Jabloteh and one more than former champion Vibe CT 105 W Connection.
North East Stars continued its steady climb from mid-division with a last-minute goal from Davidson Neptune to earned it a 2-2 draw with Joe Public at Marvin Lee Stadium, Centre of Excellence, Macoya.
Improving in all departments, North East took the lead in the eighth minute through Randolph Jerome.
The Ron LaForest-coached Joe Public rallied to take the lead in the second session with goals by Alvin Beharry and Ochieng Abosi.
When Neptune netted to tie up the score, the result meant that it was Joe Public’s seventh draw in nine matches.
Starworld Strikers scored a comfortable 3-0 win over Arima Fire at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar, and Caledonia AIA won by a similar score over Tobago United at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Freeport.
After Damian Hamilton opened the scoring for Strikers in the 48th, four minutes later Fire lost the services of goalkeeper Ramon Peter Fortune, who was given a red card for a dangerous two-footed tackle on striker Dexter Franklyn.
Substitute ‘keeper Kerry Martin save a Marc Borde penalty in the 70th but was unable to stop strikes before from Maurice Jackson (82nd) and Borde (90th).
Caledonia chalked up its first win of the season through goals by Ryan Stewart (39th and 89th) and with midfielder Ronald St Louis adding the other from the penalty spot in the 70th minute, leaving the Tobagonians as the only team without a win so far this season.

Senior Division.

W Connection vs San Juan Jabloteh (cancelled).

Caledonia AIA 3 (Ryan Stewart 39th, 89th, Ronald St Louis 70th) vs Tobago United 0.

Arima Fire 0 vs Starworld Strikers 3 (Damian Hamilton 48th, Maurice Jackson 82nd, Marc Borde 90th).

Defence Force 2 (Owen Matthews 67th, Sherman Phillip 79th) vs SWIF 1 (Peter Prosper 83rd).

Joe Public 2 (Alvin Beharry, Ochieng Abosi) vs North East Stars 2 (Randolph Jerome 8th, Davidson Neptune 90th).

U-20 Division.

Caledonia AIA 5 (Sterling Arjoon, Kent Graham, Ellis Dyette, Keon Edwards, Seon Jack) vs Tobago United 0.

Arima Fire 4 (Anton Elliot 35th, Dennison Scipio 55th, Sadiki Stewart 75th, 90th) vs Starworld Strikers 1 (Anthony Noriega 40th).

Defence Force 1 (Kerry Joseph 48th) vs SWIF 3 (Makisi Peters 5th, 89th, Willan Garcia 46th).

Joe Public 1 (Shane Calderon 90th) vs North East Stars 1 (Kirton Samuel 19th).

Senior Division.
TEAMS            P W D L  F A  Pts.
Jabloteh 7 6 1 0 23 6 19.
Defence Force 9 6 0 3 17 15 18.
W Connection 8 5 2 1 17 8 17.
Strikers 9 4 2 3 17 12 14.
North East 9 4 2 3 12 10 14.
Joe Public 9 2 7 0 13 11 13.
SWIF 9 2 3 4 14 19 9.
Caledonia AIA 9 1 3 5 8 13 6.
Arima Fire 9 1 3 6 5 18 5.
Tobago Utd 8 0 2 6 2 16 2.
Under-20 Division.
TEAMS            P W D L  F  A Pts.
Strikers 9 7 1 1 23 8 22.
Jabloteh 8 5 2 1 16 5 17.
W Connection 8 4 2 2 20 9 14.
Joe Public 8 3 4 1 17 9 13.
Caledonia AIA 9 4 3 2 18 9 15.
Defence Force 8 3 1 4 18 19 10.
Arima Fire 9 3 1 5 13 18 10.
N/East Stars 9 2 2 5 8 15 8.
Tobago Utd 8 1 1 6 6 28 4.
SWIF 9 1 3 5 7 19 6.

Kelvin Jack disappointed at exclusion.
By Lasana Liburd.

CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh technical advisor and head coach Ricky Hill sent an appeal to Trinidad and Tobago national coach Stuart Charles-Fevrier last Friday evening on behalf of two of his senior players.
Hill, a former Luton Town standout and one of the first players of African descent to represent England, believes his team captain and goalkeeper Kelvin Jack and offensive midfielder Otis Seaton—or Aurtis Whitley—are good bets for the international game.
Jack, who has compiled just ten caps with 13 goals conceded over the past six years, last represented Trinidad and Tobago in a 2-0 defeat to Honduras at the CONCACAF Gold Cup playoffs on April 25.
The six-foot four, 220-pound shotblocker received the number one jersey from former national coach Hannibal Najjar, who gave him his first international competitive cap.
Ironically, Jack was among a group of players subsequently dropped by Najjar after walking out on a national squad practise session in protest at the training conditions.
He was capped twice by interim coach Zoran Vranes after Najjar's resignation but has not earned a call up since Fevrier took the post on May 15.
The 27-year-old custodian believes that he should be a shoo-in.
“I am stunned,” said Jack, in a statement to the Express. “I do not want to sound conceited but I am the best keeper that plays local football and I think that I prove that to everyone whenever Jabloteh play.
“I am not being disrespectful to the other keepers on the national team because there are some good young goalkeepers around... But I really do think I am number one.”
Hill, who has taken Jabloteh five points clear of the Pro League pack, defended his number one pick.
“Without a doubt, Jack is right up there and probably the best I have seen in terms of local keepers,” said Hill. “He has been outstanding for us this season. Sometimes he can be even too focused because he pushes himself very hard and is very critical of himself.”
He also gave a glowing recommendation for the talented Seaton, who he feels can fill the problematic role behind the two strikers on the senior squad.
“You will be hard-pressed to find someone more suited to the playmaker role than Otis,” said Hill.
Seaton made his international debut in 2000 under Scotsman Ian Porterfield but only managed three caps in the two years since that meaningless World Cup qualifier against Panama.
His last appearance was on January 22, 2002 when Brazilian coach Rene Simoes' outfit lost 1-0 to Martinique in the CONCACAF Gold Cup.
Hill hopes that both players soon emerge from the international wilderness.
Jack explained that there were “rumours” that he was difficult to work with but denied he was a troublemaker.
Again, Hill supported his captain, who he referred to as “a leader on and off the field”.
But Fevrier refused to be drawn into a public debate on the issue and recommended that the player seek a private audience with him.
“I do not want to set a precedent,” said Fevrier, “where I use the media as a mediator with my players.
“Every player thinks he is the best in his position but it is the coach's opinion that counts.”
The “Soca Warriors” should be in action again in early September when they hope to play at least two internationals in Morocco.

Return To SOCAwarriors Online.
  • TnT Team News ! - 04-Jul-2003fleX, Mon Jun 30 14:42
    Stern John's double completes T&T comeback. By: Shaun Fuentes. Trinidad and Tobago’s senior footballers gave a display of true grit and determination as they came from behind twice to draw 2-2 with... more
    • TnT Team News ! - 11-Jul-2003 — fleX, Mon Jul 7 11:10
      • TnT Team News ! - 21-Jul-2003fleX, Mon Jul 14 10:41
        Joe Public draw again. By Ian Prescott & Gregory Trujillo. Sunday afternoon football has once again denied Joe Public a full three points in the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League. Yesterday, the Eastern ... more
        • T&T vs Bahamas (U-23), 5th, Sept, 2003fleX, Fri Sep 12 14:59
          T&T whips Bahamas 3-0. 5-Sept-2003 - NASSAU — Trinidad and Tobago’s Under-23s struck all their goals in the second half as they whipped Bahamas 3-0 in the opening game of its two-match Olympic... more
          • T&T vs Bahamas (U-23), 7th, Sept, 2003fleX, Fri Sep 12 15:00
            Under 23s advance in Olympic qualifier..Mission accomplished. 7-Sept-2003 - NASSAU — Two second-half goals by Devon Mitchell fired Trinidad and Tobago’s Under-23 players to a 3-1 win over the Bahamas ... more
            • T&T vs Costa Rica (U-23), 8-Oct-2003.fleX, Thu Oct 9 11:17
              T&T go down fighting to "Ticos". By: Shaun Fuentes. Trinidad and Tobago unveiled a new scoring talent but his exploits on Wednesday evening were not enough to prevent the hosts from going down 4-3 to ... more
              • T&T vs Grenada (U-23), 15th, Nov, 2003fleX, Mon Nov 17 10:35
                Grenada 1 vs 1 T&T..... Pt-1. By: Patriot. The game started off with T&T taking the touch and immediately signaling their intentions, to ATTACK! The ball was launched forward from the touch-off and... more
                • T&T vs Grenada (U-23), 19th, Nov, 2003fleX, Fri Nov 21 06:41
                  T&T head to Mexico, Good Nov.19 as Seniors, Under-23s win. By Ian Prescott. On a good night for local football, Trinidad and Tobago’s Under-23s advanced to the final stage of qualifying for the 2004... more
                  • T&T vs Cuba, 19th, Nov, 2003fleX, Fri Nov 21 07:23
                    Fast start does trick for ‘Warriors’ By Mark Pouchet. Trinidad and Tobago’s national senior football team took advantage of a fast start and held off a late surge by Cuba to win their friendly... more
Click here to receive daily updates