Lease this WebApp and get rid of the ads.
Gary Harper, Dungeon Master
The Opening Scene
Sat Feb 24, 2018 19:40

As the introductions, questions, conversation and magical disturbances die down, Gary speaks up. "Are we all ready to get started? I'm sure questions will come up as we go, feel free to ask. So, you're characters have all responded to the posters hung up around the region of Port Toli for one reason or another. You might be looking for some action and excitement, perhaps you just want to help the defenseless, or maybe you're just in it for the coin. Regardless, you had found yourself in a meeting with the mayor, Danita Liviana. She was eternally grateful for your willingness to help solve the town's problem. She describes how a few weeks ago, livestock started to disappear from nearby farms. Sometimes a half-eaten corps is found and sometimes only bloodstains. Everyone is scared, no one has seen the killer directly, but a long black fang was found in one of the animal corpses, thus the name 'Blackfang'. She's offered 1,000 gold pieces to the group that can put an end to this threat."

Gary pauses for a moment, looks around the group to see if everyone was following along. Exposition was boring, but necessary. Satisfied that no one was completely lost, he continued. "The mayor has directed you all to an old cave not to far from town. Rumors have it, that's where the killer lives. So that is where you've traveled. Along the way, you have plenty of time to chat and get to know each other. Your characters can chat now, as you're traveling."

Waving his hand in a general gesture of 'talk to each other, converse among yourselves.', He stands up from behind his screen with a marker. While the players chat a bit, he begins drawing some lines on the mat of 1" squares in the middle of the table. A few black lines following the grid, breaking for what was supposed to be a cavern opening, some green squiggles closed off that opening, and near to them he placed a grey figure of a human male holding a sword.

As he finished and the talk died down, he indicates the map he had just drawn. "At last! The cave is in sight up ahead." He points to the area in front of the cave he had drawn, "place your figures, in a square, on the edge of the map here." Pointing at the green squiggles across the cave entrance, he continues. "A curtain of thick, green moss hangs over the entrance, hiding what lies beyond." Then he points at the grey figure, just outside the cave. "Standing in front of the entrance is a menacing old stone statue of a warrior."

Looking at each player in turn, he asks, "What would you like to do? You could move around, ready weapons, examine things, or anything else you can think up."

(OOC: Okay, let's try this on in standard posting order, each player takes their turn. Chatter and such while traveling can take place in the same post as your declared action at this point. Gary will adjudicate actions and answer questions in a batch once everyone has posted.)

  • The Threat of Blackfang (nm) [Tag: D&D Group] Gary Harper, Dungeon Master, Sun Feb 11 12:22
    • The Opening Scene — Gary Harper, Dungeon Master, Sat Feb 24 19:40
      • Short Man on a little walkParker, Nefrig Boneaxe, Tue Feb 27 12:56
        Parker's eyes opened wide when Lily sat down, and went even wider when the dice started to rise. Parker was fairly certain that the dice, were indeed not supposed to do that, though it might be... more
        • Um... elf... guy.... doing stuff?Kir, Erevan Amastacia, Fri Mar 2 21:09
          OOC - hey Gary. Great opening scene. Try to remember to use a past tense (‘Gary spoke up,’ ‘Gary paused’ rather than ‘speaks’ and ‘pauses’) as that’s the style guide here. Content is great though,... more
          • Human Warrior takin' namesZevalyn/Amber the Valorous, Wed Mar 7 07:35
            While Parker and Kir began talking, Zevalyn placed her human fighter figure into the indicated corner where they were supposed to be arriving at the cave. As long as character had been broken,... more
            • Trying to be stealthy.Lily / Ronin the Rogue , Wed Mar 14 20:14
              After the floating pieces had been dealt with, Lily still had little idea of what was going on. She assumed they were all creating an alternate identity for their character, but the game Gary had set ... more
    • Setup and IntroductionsGary Harper, Dungeon Master, Sun Feb 11 13:03
      Gary entered the library with his arms full, and backpack bulging on his back. He smiled and nodded to the Librarian and then found his way over to the group project table in the corner that they had ... more
      • This is... overwhelmingParker Fitzgerald, Dwarven Cleric, Sun Feb 11 13:47
        Parker had talked to Gary and mentioned that he had found the paper and was interested in being a cleric, which apparently meant a priest of sorts. Parker had remembered watching Lord of the Rings,... more
        • It's not to bad... eventually...Gary Harper, Dungeon Master, Sun Feb 11 14:51
          Gary looked up from his notes as Parker came up to the table, he gave his classmate a grin. He was the one student in the group that was in his class, all of the others were older and therefore much... more
          • Arrival of Amber the ValorousZevalyn Ives, Sun Feb 11 15:25
            Zevalyn arrived in the library a bit early, intending to grab some books for her DADA supplemental reading to close that last little bit of gap between where she was and where she was supposed to be... more
            • Hope Eventually arrives soonParker, Mon Feb 12 14:08
              When the older girl walked up to the table Parker swallowed a bit. He'd hoped it hadn't been loud. He knew from talking with Gary that Gary had collected quite the array of students to play, for some ... more
              • Gary had watched as Zevalyn approached. Out of all of the people who had grabbed the invitation sheets, she was by far the most intimidating. He was about to respond with some level of uncertainty to ... more
                • Smiting helps thoughZevalyn/Amber the Valorous, Tue Feb 13 07:06
                  "Hullo, Dwarf," Zevalyn told the newbie player when he finished introducing himself, as much as he could without having picked a name. "I'll appreciate the heals. Figure I'll be the front line and be ... more
                  • I... play music?Kir, Wed Feb 14 08:27
                    Kir had been a bit uncertain after taking the invitation for D&D. He wasn’t really sure what he was getting himself in for, and he was kind of self-conscious that the game was being run by a second... more
                    • Is it supposed to do that? Lily Spencer, Wed Feb 14 19:16
                      Lily was running late because she’d almost forgotten about the adventure game she’d decided to join. It sounded like a fun thing to be a part of, albeit much more organised than what she was used to. ... more
Click here to receive daily updates