Suicide mentally cursed again as Jenni's words cut through his newfound good mood. For a moment, he contemplated distracting her from the question; he figured he had a 55% chance of managing it, with a remaining 45% chance of it going horribly wrong and pissing her off. With someone he actually liked as much as he did Jenni, those weren't odds he liked.
Damn the woman; between her role as a psych nurse and just being who she was, she was infernally hard to contemplate lying to. And she seemed genuinely concerned, though how much she knew about his thoughts he couldn't guess. Extrasensory abilities, she'd said. Had she read his mind?
Once again, Suicide did his best to stamp down his paranoia. That way lay . . . well, madness was hardly a novelty, but madness of the second-guessing, self-doubting kind that always seemed to attend politicians and priests.
Though he had to admit, the idea of him being cautious was pretty damned funny.
"Just thinking," he replied, shaking his head a little at her mention of doubts. "It's a bad habit, I know." When Jenni gave him a not-buying-that look, he struggled to elaborate. "Still getting used to the PPC again," he said finally, doing his best to keep a dry tone. He'd lost his taste for any form of drama a long time ago . . . Shit, and he'd gone and left his lampshade back in the RC, too. Damn thing was never there when he needed. "This business of getting close to someone--" He ran one hand up the long smooth curve of her back, admiring the sweep of it "--is a lot simpler when there's no thinking about universal laws and suchlike."
He offered her a wry grin. "Too much time reading the Words, I guess."
Mostly, Jenni was just confused, though not at all displeased at being kissed again, whistler or no whistler. She smiled even as she tilted her head in the universal gesture of not having a clue.... more
Doubting the doubt. Tungsten_Monk,Tue Jul 12 02:05
So much for doubts. Suicide got the idea, and while most of his thoughts that followed were generally incoherent, part of him definitely decided that the height difference was going to be a pain in... more
Jenni experienced a little thrill at how easily he plucked her up, like the effort was nothing. The voice of caution pointed out that he could probably do anything he wanted to her without breaking a ... more
So this was it: the lair of the beast, the place that would've given Nume an aneurysm if he'd known Suicide was in it. It even had a dragon . . . albeit a plush brown one, which somehow didn't quite... more
Jenni wasn't that worried about it. True, she was a woman who liked a certain level of order, and she generally maintained it for the purpose of letting her visitors know that she had everything... more
As usual, Suicide's awakening was accompanied by pain. He vaguely registered the shrilling of an alarm, but that took a distant second to the litany of other standard complaints--mainly joints that... more
Mmmmm. The aches were still there, but with Jenni's soft curves molded against him, they were hardly worth dwelling on. She'd pinioned his left arm quite neatly, especially since the feeling of her... more
At the hiss she paused her wandering and propped herself up on her right elbow to scope out what she'd touched. She hadn't been thinking about wounds and charts, but when she saw the extensive scar... more