Lease this WebApp and get rid of the ads.
non-verbal students
Mon Jun 1, 2015 14:57

The current terminology is "students with complex communication needs." The field developed to address this complexity and develop ways to assist communication in people who cannot talk is augmentative and alternative communicaton. It is interdisciplinary and composed of special educators, speech-language pathologists, rehabilitation counselors, early interventionists, assistive technology specialists, and a few weird folks like me who are interested in teaching everyone to read and write. Explore the International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication, the US Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication, Closing the Gap, and the Assistive Technology Industry Association to learn more.

  • High Expectation/ Picture Communication - coxdm, Sat May 30 13:18
    I completely agree with you Stacy that it is important for us to hold our students to high expectations. I feel as if even when we push our students beyond what they believe they are capable of, they ... more
    • non-verbal students - koppenhaverd, Mon Jun 1 14:57
    • Reply to coxdm - Stacy huffman, Sat May 30 16:38
      I do use picture symbols daily in my room. My struggle is teaching my non-verbal students to read because the challenge lies in ensuring that they have a good phonemic awareness. This is difficult to ... more
Click here to receive daily updates