Elizabeth ToddDougal McgregorMon Feb 27, 2012 13:29220.127.116.11I'm having trouble tracing my great-great-great grandfather, Dougal McGregor - who married in 1791 in Blaquhidder(to Cathrine Cameron). He later moved to Callander. Working on the dates from his headstone, he would have been born around 1768. Looking at the dates - and the names of the first few children, it's looking likely that his father was Donald Buchanan (McGregor) who married Christian Robertson. I see in one of the posts that Donald's parents are likely to be Donald Buchanan and Mary Ferguson.
Has anyone worked further back than that?
- Re: Dougal Mcgregor James King, Tue Feb 28 02:39Elizabeth: was away from my files when I answered you previously. It is DUNCAN OG not Donald Og. Sorry about that. Must be dementia (or a wee bit too much Scotch). Jim
- Re: Dougal Mcgregor James King, Tue Feb 28 01:43Cousin Elizabeth: This may be a long shot (but then again, maybe not, as Balquhidder has never been a very big place!), but the probability exists that one of your ancestors was Donald Og MacGregor... more
- John MacGregor/MacAra the Elder Cynthia Cloughly, Sun Oct 14 10:53Hey there, Cousin (or so I think!). I believe I've traced part of my ancestry to John King and his father, John MacAra (or MacGregor) the Elder of the Dougal Ciar MacGregors of/in Balquhidder,... more
- Re Donald McGregor Elizabeth Todd, Fri Mar 2 09:17I think this may drive me crazy..... There is a lot of confusing information out there - including sites which say Gregor Og was Rob Roy's grandfather. (I'm using the Clan Macfarlan site as a guide... more
- Re: Re Donald McGregor John Andrew Hutchison, Sat Mar 3 06:56Hi Elizabeth, Ronald's son Donald was an innkeeper in Balquhidder, but I have the impression his father's links to distillery were more informal. I think it was a common hobby at the time to... more
- Re Catherin Cameron Elizabeth Todd, Sat Mar 3 12:19Hi John Thanks for that bit of information. (This is when I think I'm losing it - I've tried searching every which way on the Familysearch.org site, and it doesn't show it. I did find Alexander... more
- Re: Re Catherin Cameron John Andrew Hutchison, Sun Mar 4 02:20Hi Elizabeth, To find her I went to; http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp I entered Kath Cameron Birth/Christening 1771 +/- 2 yrs in Scotland. I then opened Matches:... more
- Re: Re Catherin Cameron John Andrew Hutchison, Mon Mar 12 10:52Hi Elizabeth, I had a root through my notes on Balquhidder at the weekend and I think you're right, Dougal's parental family was probably; 1763 Donald Buchanan alias McGregor married Christian... more
- Re Dougal McGregor & Catherine Mcgregor Elizabeth Todd, Tue Mar 13 15:18Hi Thanks for the information. Just to clarify - is Alexander Cameron and Helen Morison the ones who married 1769 in Comrie? (Just to be confusing there is an Alexander Cameron and Janet Morison in... more
- Re: Re Dougal McGregor & Catherine Mcgregor John Andrew Hutchison, Wed Mar 14 01:12I think they're the same. I can't see any children to Alex and Janet, only Alex and Helen. The marriages are only a few weeks apart, and it was common practice to record a marriage in two parishes... more
- Re: Re Donald McGregor James King, Sat Mar 3 00:04Elizabeth: it might be safer to use the Clan Gregor website as your guide :) Rob Roy's ancestry (for three generations) is as follows: Robert Roy Campbell [MacGregor](Rob Roy) Donald Glas Stewart... more
- Re Duncan Og MacGregor Elizabeth Todd, Sat Mar 3 12:22Hi Jim Thanks for your help. Re the Clan Macgregor site, I've found all the historical information, transcribed historical documents etc - but I can't seem to find a family tree especially from... more
- John MacGregor 1791 - 1851 Julie MacGregor, Tue Mar 6 22:24Hi Elizabeth, I noticed that you said you have gor back as far as Rob Roy, I'm missing a generation or 2 between John MacGregor b1791 married Elizabeth Anderson. We are supposed to be related to Rob... more
- Re: Re Duncan Og MacGregor James King, Sat Mar 3 15:20Beth: try this website. The Family Tree of Rob Roy MacGregor at hal_macgregor.tripod.com/gregor/tree.html. Jim