Elizabeth ToddRe Duncan Og MacGregorSat Mar 3, 2012 12:2222.214.171.124Hi Jim
Thanks for your help.
Re the Clan Macgregor site, I've found all the historical information, transcribed historical documents etc - but I can't seem to find a family tree especially from Gregor Dhu MacGregor to the Rob Roy generation. Have I missed something?
I'm not having much luck with Duncan Og - I may try from the other end and go back as far as I can.
- Dougal Mcgregor Elizabeth Todd, Mon Feb 27 13:29I'm having trouble tracing my great-great-great grandfather, Dougal McGregor - who married in 1791 in Blaquhidder(to Cathrine Cameron). He later moved to Callander. Working on the dates from his... more
- Re: Dougal Mcgregor James King, Tue Feb 28 02:39Elizabeth: was away from my files when I answered you previously. It is DUNCAN OG not Donald Og. Sorry about that. Must be dementia (or a wee bit too much Scotch). Jim
- Re: Dougal Mcgregor James King, Tue Feb 28 01:43Cousin Elizabeth: This may be a long shot (but then again, maybe not, as Balquhidder has never been a very big place!), but the probability exists that one of your ancestors was Donald Og MacGregor... more
- John MacGregor/MacAra the Elder Cynthia Cloughly, Sun Oct 14 10:53Hey there, Cousin (or so I think!). I believe I've traced part of my ancestry to John King and his father, John MacAra (or MacGregor) the Elder of the Dougal Ciar MacGregors of/in Balquhidder,... more
- Re Donald McGregor Elizabeth Todd, Fri Mar 2 09:17I think this may drive me crazy..... There is a lot of confusing information out there - including sites which say Gregor Og was Rob Roy's grandfather. (I'm using the Clan Macfarlan site as a guide... more
- Re: Re Donald McGregor John Andrew Hutchison, Sat Mar 3 06:56Hi Elizabeth, Ronald's son Donald was an innkeeper in Balquhidder, but I have the impression his father's links to distillery were more informal. I think it was a common hobby at the time to... more
- Re Catherin Cameron Elizabeth Todd, Sat Mar 3 12:19Hi John Thanks for that bit of information. (This is when I think I'm losing it - I've tried searching every which way on the Familysearch.org site, and it doesn't show it. I did find Alexander... more
- Re: Re Catherin Cameron John Andrew Hutchison, Sun Mar 4 02:20Hi Elizabeth, To find her I went to; http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp I entered Kath Cameron Birth/Christening 1771 +/- 2 yrs in Scotland. I then opened Matches:... more
- Re: Re Catherin Cameron John Andrew Hutchison, Mon Mar 12 10:52Hi Elizabeth, I had a root through my notes on Balquhidder at the weekend and I think you're right, Dougal's parental family was probably; 1763 Donald Buchanan alias McGregor married Christian... more
- Re Dougal McGregor & Catherine Mcgregor Elizabeth Todd, Tue Mar 13 15:18Hi Thanks for the information. Just to clarify - is Alexander Cameron and Helen Morison the ones who married 1769 in Comrie? (Just to be confusing there is an Alexander Cameron and Janet Morison in... more
- Re: Re Dougal McGregor & Catherine Mcgregor John Andrew Hutchison, Wed Mar 14 01:12I think they're the same. I can't see any children to Alex and Janet, only Alex and Helen. The marriages are only a few weeks apart, and it was common practice to record a marriage in two parishes... more
- Re Mcgregor line Elizabeth Todd, Thu Mar 15 12:18Hi John Thanks for your help. (I had a break from the McGregor line for a week - had to give my brain a break. I've decided to have another go..) It's very confusing with differing dates etc...... more
- Re: Re Mcgregor line John Andrew Hutchison, Fri Mar 16 04:38Hi Elizabeth, I have two entries for Dougal in the South Perthshire Monumental Inscriptions; Callander cemetery 1858 Dougal McGregor died Dullater 5.9.1838 aged 72, wife Cath Cameron died 28.8.1847... more
- Re Donald Buchanan's family Elizabeth Todd, Sat Apr 14 16:36Hi John (Thanks for all the information - especially concerning maps. I found the NLS Ordnance Survey maps helpful.) I've been sitting looking as the Balq. Baptisms list - going 'round and 'round in... more
- Re Balquhidder Elizabeth Todd, Sat Mar 17 09:01Thanks John The information has been helpful. Is there an online map available of Balquhidder parish and surrounding parishes that mark all these places of the 1600/1700s? I find it hard to place... more
- Ordance Survey maps Jim M'Gregor, Sun Mar 18 14:55Try http://streetmap.co.uk . Some of the old farms are shown unless you zoom in.
- maps of Scotland Gkeir, Sun Mar 18 02:53The following website has wonderful old maps of Scotland. I have found places I was looking for on these maps. www.maps.nls.uk Grace
- Re: Re Balquhidder John Andrew Hutchison, Sat Mar 17 23:32Hi, I use this site; http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html But it's fiddly. For modern maps I use Bing; http://www.bing.com/maps You can change the Road view to Ordnance Survey, and the OS maps have... more
- Re: Re Donald McGregor James King, Sat Mar 3 00:04Elizabeth: it might be safer to use the Clan Gregor website as your guide :) Rob Roy's ancestry (for three generations) is as follows: Robert Roy Campbell [MacGregor](Rob Roy) Donald Glas Stewart... more
- Re Duncan Og MacGregor Elizabeth Todd, Sat Mar 3 12:22
- John MacGregor 1791 - 1851 Julie MacGregor, Tue Mar 6 22:24Hi Elizabeth, I noticed that you said you have gor back as far as Rob Roy, I'm missing a generation or 2 between John MacGregor b1791 married Elizabeth Anderson. We are supposed to be related to Rob... more
- Re: Re Duncan Og MacGregor James King, Sat Mar 3 15:20Beth: try this website. The Family Tree of Rob Roy MacGregor at hal_macgregor.tripod.com/gregor/tree.html. Jim