Elizabeth ToddRe Donald Buchanan's familySat Apr 14, 2012 16:3618.104.22.168Hi John
(Thanks for all the information - especially concerning maps. I found the NLS Ordnance Survey maps helpful.)
I've been sitting looking as the Balq. Baptisms list - going 'round and 'round in circles....
1) I did write down a list of Donald Buchanan and Christian Robertson's children. (Married in 1763) - Dougall (1764); Anne (1766); Janet (1768); Catherine (1771); Donald (1773); Colin & Gregor (1776); Jean (1778); Margaret (1779); Margaret (1781).
(There was a Donald born to a Donald/Christian in Kirkton in 1763 - but I think this may be Donald Murray and Christian McGregor.)
I know the naming sequence is not 'something set in stone', but given this, wouldn't it seem more probable that Donald's parents were a Dougall and Janet. (I can't find that many Dougall's....) I tried to find Christian Robertson's parents - but can't find anything obvious. (From memory, most came from the Blair Atholl area.) I'd hoped that might have eliminated a few names....
2) I found under a Balq. Stewart Births website - about Malcolm /Callum McGregor-alias Buchanan - alias McLeastair - and Janet Steuart in Ruscachan/Ardoch. They said possible son of Alexander. I wondered if Malcolm was a brother ie Donald's father was another son of Alexander. I can't find any Alexander that ties in. (There's an Alexander/Mary McFarlane who had Malcolm in 1723..... at Innerlochlarig?) Can't find anything on Mary McFarlane either.
3) I was also looking at Dougall and Catherine Cameron's children's names - 2 of the latter children were called Robert Fairful (1809) and Marion Crawford (1811). These seem a bit unusual - would these names have likely come from relatives, close friends - or maybe even prominent members of the community? (I've tried searching these names in a few places but nothing stands out.)
Any help/guidance would be much appreciated,
- Re: Re Mcgregor line John Andrew Hutchison, Fri Mar 16 04:38Hi Elizabeth, I have two entries for Dougal in the South Perthshire Monumental Inscriptions; Callander cemetery 1858 Dougal McGregor died Dullater 5.9.1838 aged 72, wife Cath Cameron died 28.8.1847... more
- Re Donald Buchanan's family Elizabeth Todd, Sat Apr 14 16:36
- Re Balquhidder Elizabeth Todd, Sat Mar 17 09:01Thanks John The information has been helpful. Is there an online map available of Balquhidder parish and surrounding parishes that mark all these places of the 1600/1700s? I find it hard to place... more
- Ordance Survey maps Jim M'Gregor, Sun Mar 18 14:55Try http://streetmap.co.uk . Some of the old farms are shown unless you zoom in.
- maps of Scotland Gkeir, Sun Mar 18 02:53The following website has wonderful old maps of Scotland. I have found places I was looking for on these maps. www.maps.nls.uk Grace
- Re: Re Balquhidder John Andrew Hutchison, Sat Mar 17 23:32Hi, I use this site; http://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html But it's fiddly. For modern maps I use Bing; http://www.bing.com/maps You can change the Road view to Ordnance Survey, and the OS maps have... more