TOTALLY HIP SUPPORT GROUPJudyanterior hip replacement and numbnessSun May 1, 2011 11:01am188.8.131.52Rule of thumb seems to be that it takes about 1 year for all the challenges to go away...assuming the implant is still in place properly and there is no infection.
As for me, I had the anterior approach. My surgeon told me last week -if you have had a revision after a failed implant (as I did when the bone didn't grow into it the first time) it will take 2 years.
I started physical therapy this week - and that seems to help my aching and limping. I am 7.5 months post my revision. There is a major difference in feeling when I exercise the right leg and the left leg. Seems related to the gluteus medius muscle.
This is a much more major operation that I thought it would be.
Hang in there!
- Anterior Hip Replacement jam, Sat Apr 30 6:46pmIt's 6.5 months since my right hip replacement (Anterior) and my thigh from incision down to above knee and in the back of thigh area is still VERY NUMB. Doc says this is Normal and will go away in... more
- Numbness Leslie, Tue Jan 10 8:53amIt has been a month ... Right hip anterior . Had the left hip done a year ago ....but now I have numbness from my knee down to the top of my foot. My scar is VERY hard ... Going to PT ... But... more
- Re: Anterior Hip Replacement Stevenewhip10, Sun May 1 9:00pmIt's been 5 months for my thr Right side anterior. I feel great! numbestess now. I did have some discomfort when I slept on my right side but now that's not that big a deal. It does take some time,... more
- anterior hip shaneins, Sat Mar 1 6:00pm2 weeks out of surgery, using a walker, numbness in thigh, feels like i have a lump in thigh. Does all this sound normal. i know it has only been 2 weeks what should i look forward to .
- anterior hip replacement and numbness Judy, Sun May 1 11:01am
- Burning Pain. Wen, Tue Mar 10 12:59pmI am almost 2 years out from having my hip replaced. I have recently started having severe burning in my right upper leg, just around where the incision was made. I have not checked or informed the... more
- Judy anterior Mary, Mon May 2 12:31amJudy, did you have an anterior done the first time? and then again the second?
- anterior Judy, Tue May 3 6:27amHi Mary, Yes, I had the anterior approach both times. He went right back into the same incision. It's a little indented now and a tad puffy at about one inch from the top, but otherwise OK. The first ... more
- Judy/Anterior sharon, Wed May 4 12:26amJudy, I had a posterior but I don't think that's the problem. My surgical leg is extremely weak. I can't push the leg press plate even a teensy bit with the one leg. I can't walk up steps using both... more
- Sharon - leg weakness. Judy, Fri May 6 9:49pmDid you have any P.T. at all? I just had 5 at home visits after my surgery. But it seems that sometimes a person needs real extensive P.T. - especially, I hear when there is a revision. Did you go... more
- Judy/leg weakness sharon, Fri May 6 10:02pmJudy, I went to PT twice and was given stretch bands to use to exercise at home. I bought tube bands too and go to the gym on a regular basis. I do exercises for the abductors with the bands,... more
- Sharon, leg weakness Judy, Sat May 7 2:47pmHi Sharon, Well, so, far I have received no bands, so I will wait to see what these exercises they are giving me do. I felt the same way as you when I was told I could take an Advil or such. I asked... more
- TheraBands for Strength jam , Sat May 7 12:34pmI've been using TheraBands for quite a few years...I use the Dark Grey Color and for an ole gal am pretty toned and strong. My hip surgeon saw that in me and probably a major reason why I didn't go... more
- answer to question Andrea, Sun May 1 8:34amIf the numbness has not gone away within a year of having your operation done, it will stay the same has it is now. The reason for it happening is damage to the nerves whilst having the operation... more
- what do other docs say? jackie vno, Sun May 1 6:43amJam, I guess, depending on what other of the anterior-approach-hipsters say about this, should determine your course of action. I had and antero-lateral approach (incision about 9" along beginning... more
- numbness Mary, Mon May 2 12:27amI am just about six months out from my 4th revision, and my entire thigh is numb on the outer aspect. I doubt its going to change much now, and I guess I shall just have to live with it, its better... more
- Numbness/Mary sharon, Tue May 3 12:24amMary, When I had my surgery I used to kid around and say that it felt that I was carrying a typewriter on my thigh! Anyway, I've read that it can take up to a year or more for nerves to regenerate.... more
- femoral nerve damage remcc, Wed Mar 27 4:22pmI am 6.5 months after anterior approach hip surgery. my hip has done great BUT I have numbness on the front of my thigh over my knee and lower inside leg. balance is a big worry as i have almost... more
- Numbness after thr Lcp, Thu Sep 19 7:48amI had a left thr 1 year ago. At the time my left leg was so numb it would not sustain my weight (160 lbs) over the past year progress was sooo slow but it is getting better. When sitting I could not... more
- numbness/ sharon Mary, Tue May 3 12:29amI will Sharon, although I doubt its going to chnage much now. it just feels a bit weird when the dogs jump on my legs or something brushes up against it. I can live with it, the same happened the... more
- revisions jam, Mon May 2 9:16pmI had my first HRT 6.5 months ago, anterior right hip, and I'm 73 soon. Does this mean I could have to have it done again down the road?
"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13